Most of the buildings that were in the downtown area of Corinna are gone, torn down in the EPA cleanup just over a decade ago.
This one is still there, standing tall, as it has since completion in 1898. At that time some considered it one of the finest public buildings in Maine. Designed by architect, William H. Grimshaw, the building was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places in 1974.
The Stewart Library Building was built by Levi M. Stewart, a childhood resident of Corinna, to honor his parents and to provide a public library for the town. Mr. Stewart grew up to be a prosperous lawyer in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Upon his death in 1910 his private book collection of more than 6000 volumes was shipped to Corinna and placed in the building. He was buried in the Village Cemetery in Corinna. He never married, some of his family descendants still live in town.
The building currently houses the Corinna Town Office, the Stewart Free Library, the Stewart Private Library, and is the home of the Levi Stewart Community Theater.
For the most part, the building is in good shape but it needs some attention. Most pressing is the need to repair the brick work in the clock tower. The mortar in some portions of the tower has disintegrated and needs to be replaced.